Preparation Time: 10 minutes, Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 100g pine nuts
- 110g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 2 tbs cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 egg white, lightly whisked
- Extra pine nuts, to decorate
- 2 tsp cocoa powder, extra
- 3 tsp icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the pine nuts in the bowl of a food processor and process until roughly chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the sugar and cocoa powder. Add the egg white and use a wooden spoon to mix well.
- Drop 1/2 tablespoonfuls of the mixture about 2cm apart on the lined trays. Decorate with a pine nut placed in the centre of each. Combine the extra cocoa powder and icing sugar and then sift over the macaroons.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the macaroons spread and appear cracked and dry. Remove from oven, place the trays on wire racks and cool the macaroons on the trays.
Note: These macaroons can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.Source: Dimitra Stais, Australian Good Taste, July 1998, p 81