- Red Lentils (1 cup)
- 1 Onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 Teaspoon Saffron (Tumeric)
- Garlic - 1 or 2 pips, chopped and smashed
- 3 Red dried chillies
- Mustard Seeds, 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves, 1 sprig - optional
- 1/2 Cup coconut milk
- Soak lentils in water for an hour.
- Wash + drain a few times until water is clear.
- Put in pan + cover with water.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon tumeric + boil medium heat, until they just open up.
- Add coconut milk + salt. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Heat oil in frypan, add curry leaf + onion + garlic and fry for a while.
- Add tumeric, mustard seed + dried chillis. Fry until onions golden.
- Add this mix into lentil curry, bring to boil.
[Serve with red/brown/white rice and some other Sri Lankan/indianvegie goodness]
Source: Sherine Prins, Dylan's mum